Cycling in the Sierra Aracena 8 days/ 7 nights.
New Bike Week Offer!! Available from September 15th!
In this week dedicated to cycling, Molino Río Alájar offers you the opportunity to participate in a unique week of cycling, a 6-day mountain bike tour through the main villages of the Sierra de Aracena, giving you the chance to get to know the most interesting natural areas in Spain, touring this Natural Park along the centuries-old trails that are one of its main attractions.
In fact, with more than 186 000 hectares, the Sierra de Aracena, constitutes a large, wooded mass consisting of holm oaks, cork oaks, chestnuts, and riverside forests, which form a natural area of great ecological value.
During this week, you will be able to discover the most beautiful villages of our Sierra such as Almonaster la Real, Castaño del Robledo, Aracena, Galaroza, Linares, Los Marines, Fuenteheridos, and Jabugo village, where the world’s best acorn-fed Iberian ham is produced, with the Jabugo PDO (Protected Designation of Origin). Most of the villages visited during your stay are villages that have been declared Historic Sites.
With this holiday model and its circular routes, you can enjoy an extensive and complex network of public roads that link the towns and villages, making the Sierra de Aracena a privileged environment for mountain biking.
In general, the routes, present some difficulty, given the hilly nature of the terrain. The Sierra has no major trial peaks, as the highest elevation within the natural park is El Cerro del Castaño, at an altitude of 962 metres.
However, the terrain is very rough, which gives it a certain ruggedness, and some of the tracks have technical areas, some with stones, which will delight bikers with at least an intermediate level.
At the beginning of your stay, you will have at your disposal the necessary information about all our routes, including route data, maps, waypoints, and route book drawn up by cycling professionals and by ourselves with our recommendations for your stops at the best places of interest, whether cultural, gastronomic or historical sites.
Useful information for this week:
- Level required: Minimum intermediate level. Not recommended for beginners.
- Availability of the offer: from September 15th to June 1st.
- Km per day: between 26.8km and 38.90 km.
- Total kilometres in the 6 days: 222.90 km
- Average cycling time: 5h20 min.
- Positive difference in altitude of the route: 1197 .m
- Negative difference in altitude of the route: 1238 m.
- Average altitude: 606 m.
- Possibility of hiring a back-up vehicle in the case of breakdown or fatigue
- Most of the route is along the paths (which have linked the villages for centuries) and forest tracks. There are also some stretches of narrow trails that will delight mountain bikers. Pavement roads are only used for small connecting sections between the end and the beginning of paths, or when traversing villages.
The holiday begins at the self catering cottages of Molino Rio Alajar in Alajar Huelva.
You will be welcomed by Monica & Peter Jan Mulder where you will stay in one of their well appointed cottages el Buho for the week. https://molinorioalajar.com/las-casas/casa-el-buho/
DAY 1: ARRIVAL AND TRANSFER TO SIERRA DE ARACENA
Pick up (optional) at airport and transfer to the Sierra de Aracena. Accommodation in our rural house with welcome dinner.
DAY 2: MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO ALMONASTER
After breakfast, Vanessa, the coordinator of the cycling week will provide you with the bicycles, if you have rented them and will explain the route to you along with all the documentation, including GPS information, telephone number for assistance and maps.
This first route is 38.9 km long and is estimated to take 5h30h to complete. After passing through several mountain villages, you will reach the town of Almonaster la Real where you will have the opportunity to visit one of the oldest and most beautiful mosques in the region, dating from before the Middle Ages.
It is situated on the top of a mountain overlooking the village.
DAY 3: MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO CORTECONCEPCION
A physical day awaits you today with this 47.3km circular route, the hardest of the week! You will pass through the beautiful villages of Corteconcepción, Aracena, and Linares. In Corteconcepción, to recharge your batteries, you can relax and enjoy a visit to a traditional ham producer’s cellar before cycling back to your accommodation.
DAY 4: MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO SANTA ANA LA REAL
Today’s route will be 31.3km. The estimated time spent on the bike, will be about 4 hours, depending on the level and preparation of the group.
This route crosses the beautiful village of Los Madroñeros and the municipality of Santa Ana la Real.
DAY 5:MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO ARACENA
Today’s route is the shortest. It is 30.7 km long and can be completed in 4.15 hours on the bikes.
After your departure, you will arrive at La Peña de Arias Montano, where you will enjoy one of the most beautiful views of the whole Sierra from “the balcony of the Sierra”, taking in the impressive views and the calm that reigns in this famous area, where the most popular pilgrimage of the Sierra is celebrated.
DAY 6: MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO CORTEGANA
Today we return to a long route of about 47.9 km which should be completed in about 6h30 cycling time.
Along this route, you will pass through the discreet villages of Los Romeros, Canaleja, before arriving at the magnificent castle of Cortegana, dating from the 14th century, to return and relax in your rural accommodation.
DAY 7 : MOLINO RIO ALAJAR TO JABUGO
Today we will finish this week with a relatively short route of 28.6km, which can be done in 4.05h.
We will pass through typical villages of the Sierra, where we will be able to enjoy the art of the Sierra through its gastronomy, crafts, and culture.
DAY 8: END OF YOUR SPORTS HOLIDAY
We hope you very much enjoyed your stay in our accommodation and look forward to receiving you on another occasion to help you explore new routes and horizons in our paradise of the Sierra de Aracena Natural Park.
AVAILABILITIES AND PRICES
These holidays are organised from all the year except July and August. This programme is based on 8 days and 7 nights but can be shorter, longer or modified according to individual wishes.
- The price, based on two people, is 1095€ including accommodation along the route based on double occupancy. (please contact us for individual prices)
- All breakfasts.
- A welcome dinner.
- All the basic material for the cleaning and maintenance of bikes.
- We will provide you with maps, gps points and all the necessary documentation for your sporting stay.
- Several recommendations for places to eat or visit in the villages in and around the passes.
- Bicycle rental is not included. We offer you the possibility to rent a quality mountain bike (minimum 1 week) for a supplement of 175 € / week and 25 € per bike / additional days or, an electric mountain bike for 280 € the week and 40 € / additional days (for a rental just by the day, please consult us).
- Lunches and dinners (except the first welcome dinner)
- From Seville you can take the bus to Alájar where someone from Molino Río Alájar will be waiting to drive you to your accommodation. You can also take a taxi from the airport. The price would be 140€ for 2 people and 2 bikes.
- Insurance against theft, damage, and accidents.
- Assistance and pick-up from the road will be €1 per km. This will be estimated from the nearest point from Alájar.
- Picnic: 15€ per person. Must be ordered in advance. All services are not included in the circuit.